• Prevent people from obtaining information on valuables, especially large amounts of cash kept inside the house.
• Remain vigilant, irrespective of the amount of security measures in place.
• Use 'multiple layers' of security.
• Install security systems that include an early warning system outside and surrounding the house (this constitutes 68% of the deterrence factor)
• Install a physical barrier that prevents access to the surrounding yard or garden, so that an intruder cannot get close enough to the house to overpower a resident.
• Be aware that any security system is useless if ignored or switched off, especially during the times when most house robberies occur.
• Take note of any trends regarding crime and robbers' modus operandi and adapt security measures accordingly.
• Participate in local crime prevention initiatives.
Supplied by HCPF.