Hilton Avenue, Hilton, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, 3245
+27 0)33 343 4574
Mon to Fri: 9am to 3pm & Sat: 8am to 11,45am
In the late 1950's, the Hilton Road Women's Institute felt there was a growing need for a public library and so in 1956 with fifty books and five pounds in the kitty, a library was opened in the old butcher shop building in Winstead road. The prime mover in the establishment of the library was Doris Parkes, assisted by Edith Maytham and Mollie Smith.
Books were loaned at a charge of three pence a copy and being a social meeting place, tea was available at five pence a cup on library days, which were Wednesdays and Saturdays. The library grew in popularity and new premises were found at the back of Pole's Store, after which it moved again to the Health Committee Building in 1964.
It was during the 1960's and early 1970's that Hilton went through a rapid period of growth. Roads were improved and two car families became the norm. Consequently, with the population growth, the existing library premises became too small. The Provincial Administration, having taken the library services over in 1975, decided to build a new library where in 1978, Maureen Alker and her many voluntary helpers; Joan Rea, Audrey Shepherd, Moira Hay, Mary Clarke, Shirley Forsyth and Maureen Needham assisted her.
As the library membership grew, Maureen Alker was joined by a permanent staff member, Jill Rosatto and then Rachel (Lucy) Wagner. It is to them that we owe a debt of gratitude for the cheerful and efficient library service that we have today.
In 2004, the library came on line and operates on the PALS Library System.