Owners of property in Hilton will know that the Hilton Ratepayers Association has for some time been lobbying to have an Urban Improvement Precinct Policy adopted by uMngeni Municipality. The excellent news is that the new uMngeni Rates Policy, which comes into effect from 1 July, 2022, includes policies and procedures which allow for the establishment of Urban Improvement Precincts, also often referred to as Special Rating Areas, within the municipality.
The HRA is convinced of the advantages which the establishment of an Urban Improvement Precinct would bring to Hilton. It is our intention to proceed as soon as possible with a consultative process within the community which will include the following:
• Fully informing Hilton property owners of the scope and possible advantages of establishing a UIP.
• Surveying property owners to establish attitudes and the issues which the community might like to see addressed in Hilton.
• Producing a business plan and budget for presentation to property owners for discussion and possible amendment.
• Running a referendum on the proposed business plan and budget amongst property owners. To present the proposals to the municipality for approval will require written evidence that 60% of ratepayers support the initiative.
Some other points:
• The process will be fully consultative. It will be up to the property owners of Hilton to decide what should be included in the activities of the UIP, and, of course, whether to proceed at all.
• The policy now adopted by uMngeni ensures that the municipality is closely involved in oversight of the process to be followed.
• The UIP will not assume responsibilities which fall within the legal mandate of the municipality.
UIP Steering Committee Chair
If you have not done so already, please consider joining the Hilton Ratepayers’ Association, click here. Please encourage others to do the same. The stronger the support we receive, the more effective we can be.
Hilton and Winterskloof Security Initiatives
Please consider signing up as a contributing member in your area towards the security initiatives. If you live in Hilton please read more and sign up here. If you live in Winterskloof please read more and sign up here.
More about the Hilton Ratepayers Association